Android/Google Play Help
If you're having difficulty with accessing your digital magazine via your Android device, you're in the right place! Take a look at our frequently asked questions and answers below to help you.
- Open up the Google Play store app
- Search or browse for magazine app - i.e MOJO magazine or Country Walking magazine
- Select an item
- Tap Install
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the download and get the app
- Open up the app on your Android device
- This launches the ‘Storefront’, with the current & back issues of your magazine in it.
- Tap theicon the to reveal the ‘sign in’ option
- Find the ‘Create an account’ button: tap it
- Input your details, including the customer number emailed to you by Great Magazines
- Add a password, with 8 characters minimum, with a mix of numerals and upper/lower case letters
- Once complete you can log into your account using the details you just provided
- Launch the app
- Tap the icon (usually in the top left of the screen) or ‘Sign In’ to reveal the menu
- Add your email address and password in the ‘login’ section
- Tap ‘Great Magazines login’ OR ‘Sign In’ (depending on the app you have)
- Your issue(s) should be available to download
Ultimately, if you just want some advice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org – we will be back in touch with you within 24 hours, Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm.
Alternatively, go to the ‘Feedback’ section of the app in the menu and write what you wish here. We’d actually prefer it if you did this as it helps us detect errors.
This will also get to our support team and answered within 24 hours, Monday to Friday.
General Information and FAQ's
General Q&A about our digital magazines for your Andriod device
The app works with any operating system from iOS 9 onwards. It also works with any device that has a 64-bit processor, or greater. Older devices with 32-bit processors and iOS 8 or before are NOT supported. The following devices are NOT supported any longer:
As soon as your digital subscription has been confirmed by an email order acknowledgement, you will be able to access the latest issue. From that point onwards, you will receive all future issues as long as your subscription remains active. Please note that you will not be able to access any of the issues that came out prior to the start of your subscription.
Yes, when placing an order, you can specify the recipient who you wish to receive the digital magazine. The order acknowledgement e-mail will be sent to yourself following the purchase. It will contain the download and activation instructions which you will need to pass to the recipient.
Please note: if you purchase a digital subscription that comes with a welcome gift, the welcome gift will be sent to yourself, not the recipient.
We will send you an e-mail acknowledging your purchase which will also contain download instructions. Once the order has been processed, an e-mail confirmation will be sent to you as well (usually within 24 hours) which will confirm the details of your purchase and provide a unique customer number. This number is really important, make a note of it!
After you have received your order acknowledgement email, you will need to download the app onto your device from your device's app store. Once the app is downloaded, using your customer number and instructions sent to you in the order acknowledgement e-mail, you will need to ‘create an account’ within the app. Once both of these steps are competed, you will be able to access and download your digital magazine issues via the app.
After you have purchased a digital magazine - whether it is a subscription or single issue, you may download your issues from the app as many times as you like at no additional cost.
If you have taken out a subscription for yourself or as a gift and have paid by debit/credit card, we will send you a set of renewal reminders before the end of your subscription. Please note that no renewal communications will be sent to the recipient unless their subscription expires.
There are a few ways you can renew your subscription:
- Via our online renewal page here
- By filling out a renewal slip which we will send you with the renewal reminders
- By calling +44 (0) 1858 438884*
Please note that if you chose to pay by Direct Debit, you do not need to renew your subscription as your contract will continue until you cancel it with ourselves and your bank after the initial subscription term has been completed (usually 12 months). For full terms and conditions please click here
Occasionally, your Great Magazines subscription might not start with the most recent issue in the app. It might start with the next issue to go live – please check your order confirmation, it should tell you with which issue your subscription starts.
You also need to ‘create an account’ in the app, using the customer number you were sent by Great Magazines after your purchases. If you’ve not done this, please try doing so, using the instructions you have been sent.
If you’re still having problems, there is support at hand via the support team at Great Magazines. Please email email@example.com including your name, the magazine you’re trying to access, and your customer number. They should help within 24 hours.
We regret to say we cannot offer digital subscribers the cover-mounted gifts some print editions will carry on their front covers, or bagged with the issue. Generally speaking, digital editions are cheaper to buy, to reflect this.
1. Open your app store.
2. Click on the menu button. (Line icon)
3. Select Vouchers
4. Type in your voucher code
5. Click Go
6. Press 'Redeem'
7. Tap Continue
8. Scroll down to find your issue
9. Click Download
10. Once it has loaded, click 'open'
You’ll need to speak with the Great Magazines support team, who may need to reset your account. You can get in touch with them via firstname.lastname@example.org – they will be back in touch within 24-48 hours.
The app works with any Android operating system starting from Marshmallow onwards. It also supports any reasonably recent Android device (not including Kindle Fire / Kindle eReaders) – as long as that device has a 64-bit processor or more powerful.
The app does not support devices with 32-bit processors or smaller.
If you have any questions on this, please email email@example.com and we’ll advise further.
You can delete an issue by either tapping the 'hardware' menu button on your device OR if there isn't one, tap and hold the 'recent apps' button (as on the Samsung Galaxy Note 4). You should then see a settings menu along with the option 'delete issue' to remove your issue.
The latest digital issue may not become available on the same day and/or at the same time as the print copy. We aim to go live on the same day that the print version appears in the shops. Occasionally some titles go live in advance of this, but usually only by a day or two.
You shouldn't need to create two separate accounts. You can use your existing log-in details as long as you used the same email address for all of your purchases.
Yes, you will. If you switch to another device, simply download the app again from the Google Play App Store and log into your existing account.
Some of our magazines have versions in Google Play Newsstand AND in the separate APPS section of Google Play Store. As a Great Magazines customer, you’ll need to download the app in the APPS section of Google Play Store. The Google Newsstand version will not work for you.
The login section of the app is for customers who have bought issues or a subscription via our own Great Magazines website. It is NOT for customers who have purchased issues via Google Play Wallet.
If you are a Great Magazines customer and you are trying to login but it’s failing, with the app telling you it doesn’t recognise your password, or email, then the best thing to do is get in touch with the Great Magazines customer service team, who’ll be able to look at your specific account and tell you what’s going on.
This is how to get in touch with them:
1) Email firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Give your full name and the title of the magazine you’re trying to access
3) Include your customer number if you have it
4) Outline what the problem is and what the app is telling you! Please include screen shots where appropriate.
You will receive a response within 24-48 hours.
There is a limit of four devices that can be used to access any one Great Magazines subscription. If you’ve surpassed this, you may be locked out of the app, in which case you’ll need to get into touch with our customer support team, who can reset your account for you. You can get in touch with them via email@example.com – they will be back in touch within 24-48 hours.
You might want to consider removing some previously downloaded issues to free up space on the device’s storage. To do this, please:
1) Launch the app
2) You’ll see the magazines appear in the storefront
3) Any downloaded issues should have a button with the word ‘Open’ on it, next to a black square button with a cross on it
4) Tap the black square button
5) A notification will appear asking you to confirm
6) Tap ‘OK’
7) The download will be removed
You will still be able to read that issue in the future, you’ll just have to download it again at a later date.
Or, to free up space for your favourite magazine, you could think about deleting any other apps that you no longer use!
No. We will always clearly obtain your consent to collect and/or process your personal information when we are required to do so by law.
However, the app does track generic user behaviour – for example, the number of issues that are downloaded, the type of devices and operating systems being used to access content in the app, how long you might spend reading an issue, the purchases you might make in order to fulfil them.
Additionally, if you send us an email via the ‘Feedback’ section of the app, you should know that in doing so, you will be providing data on your usage of the app that may help us fix any technical problem you may have or have had with the app, or answer any question you might have asked about the app.
This data, which may include your email address, will not be stored by us. No data from this app will be used for promotional purposes. Your app-usage data will not be handed to third parties, unless it's essential for us to do so to solve technical problems. In this case, we may pass your app usage data only to our technical partners - Sprylab technologies GmbH and CDS Global (Great Magazines) - or both.
If you have any questions relating to your personal data and how Bauer Media uses it, or if you wish to request information on the data of yours we may hold and how we may be using it, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll happily comply with any request you might have.
Yes! Just make sure you download them fully first over a good WiFi connection. Once downloaded, they will store on your device and can be read offline.
Yes, but we do NOT recommend it. Some of the file sizes are large and this will use up a lot of data. Depending on the data deal you have with your network supplier, you may be charged to download over a mobile data network. This cost could be considerable.
Also, if you’re abroad, we would definitely not recommend downloading over a mobile network. Our advice would always be to ensure you download over a safe and secure WiFi network – the better the speed of the connection, the faster your download will complete.
Your most frequently asked questions related to digital upgrades and trial promotions, answered.
Digital upgrade is an option that allows you to add a digital magazine to an existing print subscription you have originally purchased for yourself or as a gift at a preferential rate.
Yes, if you are an existing print subscriber, you may upgrade your subscription by adding the digital version for a preferential rate. You can do so by creating or logging into your existing on-line customer services account here.
Yes, if you have previously purchased a print subscription for someone and now wish to upgrade them to include the digital element, you can do so. However, there can only be one recipient per upgrade i.e. you cannot have two different recipients where one receives the print version and another receives digital.
Troubleshooting FAQ's to help you if you are experiencing problems with your Android device.
From time to time, this can happen: usually after you’ve updated your app or the operating system your device is running on. Please try the following:
1) Check you’re connected to a decent Wi Fi signal
2) Stop the app running and relaunch it
3) You should see the storefront appearing, with the covers of the most recent issues
4) Tap the button on the top right of the screen to reveal a drop-down menu
5) Tap ‘Restore all purchases’
6) Please WAIT as the app restores: don’t navigate anywhere
7) Once the restore process is complete, you should have access to your issues again
Unfortunately, you will have to re-download them again, which we understand can be frustrating – with apologies, there’s no way around that.
If you have any questions on this, or this answer doesn’t sort the problem out, please email email@example.com and we’ll advise further.
Firstly, this is for customers who have bought issues via the Great Magazines website. It is not for iOS or Google Play customers.
If this applies to you, please run through this checklist to see if it solves the problem:
1) You should have been sent a customer number by Great Magazines on confirmation of your purchase. Please double check you’ve inputted it onto the ‘Create an account’ form
2) Make sure you’ve used the same email address you inputted when buying the subscription / issue
3) Your password MUST be a minimum of 8 characters in length. It MUST also have a mix of upper/lower case letters, plus at least one numeral. Check that this is the case
If you still can’t create your account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org giving them your customer number and they can look into it for you, usually within 24-48 hours.
Because there are so many Android devices on various operating systems out there, if you’re using an older device on an older operating system, sometimes the performance of the app won’t be as quick or smooth as we’d like.
Also, it’s worth checking your WiFi to ensure you have a good connection as well as ensure you don’t have too many apps running on your device concurrently.
Firstly, are you using an older device and operating system? The app no longer supports devices running 32-bit processors.
Secondly, what operating system are you using? You need to be using Marshmallow or later.
Any older devices or operating systems may not be able to run this app.
If you’re using modern, supported devices / operating systems, yet are still having difficulty downloading issues, please follow these tips:
1) When you download an issue please only download one at a time
2) Remain on the storefront when the issue is downloading, until the process is complete
3) Do not navigate away from the app
4) Do not attempt to download more than one issue at once
Also, please check the available storage space on your device and always use a good Wi Fi connection to download – the faster your broadband/fibre speed, the quicker the download
Check how many apps your device has running at once. If a number of apps remain launched & open on your device, it can take up the device’s available memory and make it tricky to download a digital edition of a magazine. Ideally, only have one or two apps running simultaneously when you’re downloading a digital magazine
If you have any questions on this, or if the app keeps crashing even though you’re using a supported device and operating system, please email email@example.com and we’ll advise further.
Using the Google Play Store app, tap the menu> My apps and games, find the app and tap 'Uninstall'. Then go back into the app store and re-download. This can work but please note: you will lose previously downloaded issues. To access them again you’ll need to login again.
Firstly, this is for customers who have bought issues via the Great Magazines website. It is not for Google Play customers.
If this applies to you, please run through this checklist to see if it solves the problem:
1) You should have been sent a long customer number by Great Magazines on confirmation of your purchase
2) Please double check you’ve inputted it correctly onto the ‘Create an account’ form
3) Make sure you’ve used the same email address you inputted when buying the subscription / issue
4) Your password MUST be a minimum of 8 characters in length. It MUST also have a mix of upper/lower case letters, plus at least one numeral. Please check that this is the case
If after this you still can’t create your account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org giving them your customer number and they can look into it for you, usually within 24-48 hours.
Please seek support directly from Google https://support.google.com/googleplay/digital-content/?hl=en-GB#topic=3364260
Your username is your email address. If you can’t remember which e-mail address you used, please e-mail email@example.com with your customer number for assistance.
If you've forgotten your password, simply click 'Forgotten Password' when you go to log-in and follow the instructions
Firstly, if you bought your issues / subscription via the Great Magazines website, please check whether you are logged in. You MUST be logged in to access your magazines.
If you are logged in and the app is not letting you download issues you are entitled so, please email our support team (see below email address).
If you are not logged in, please try and login, like this:
1) Go into the app’s menu (top left of screen)
2) Tap the button that says ‘Login’
3) You will see fields to add your user name and password
4) Add your username to the correct field – it should be your email address
5) Add the password you created when setting up your account in the second field
6) Tap ‘LOGIN’
7) You should get a pop-up appear that says, ‘Thank you, you’ve successfully logged in!’
8) Tap ‘Continue’ – you’ll be taken to your magazines, where you can download them
NOTE: This form is ONLY for Great Magazines customers, NOT for iTunes or Google Play customers.
If you’re having problems logging in, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and give your full name and the title of the magazine you’re trying to access, along with your customer number, if you have it. Outline what the problem is and what the app is telling you – our team should be in touch within 24 hours.